How to pass KYC with Cryptonomica
Why one should pass KYC
SONM technically allows to launch any linux software. If we allow anonymous users to launch any software, some of them eventually will launch harmful or illegal software, bringing risks for hardware supplier. Network will very fast be sold out for botnets of differents fashion.
SONM delegates KYC verification to external services. SONM itself does not keep or know any personal information. Instead some KYC services on SONM network may know who is this particular user with addr 0x...
Cryptonomica is the first publicly available independent KYC service provider to join Sonm network.
It is an online and offline identity verification service and a global database of verified identities with keys for signing electronic documents, blockchain transactions and KYC. For more information, please visit the official website of Cryptonomica.
More options will be available in the future. Other KYC service providers are free to join Sonm.
What you need:
- Gmail account
- Two identity documents (for example, passport and driver's license)
- Your credit card to pay for Cryptonomica services
- The MetaMask plugin installed in the browser with your Ethereum account
- Ether at your Ethereum account to pay for the transaction
How to pass KYC by Cryptonomica
- Enter your profile in the SONM GUI (Wallet -> Account -> enter your profile) and click Get certification.
- Select Cryptonomica, to generate the link, enter the password from your Ethereum account and click Next.
Follow the link to the Cryptonomica service and read the KYC procedure instructions.
- Generate a personal PGP key. You can do this using any utility for working with PGP keys or using the built-in on-line utility for working with PGP keys from Cryptonomica (click OpenPGP online in the menu on the left). The PGP key (public and private) must be saved to a safe place (Save As File), and you can also save it to the browser storage (click Save to local browser storage)
- Enter your profile (click My Profile). In the User PGP public keys section, select your PGP key and click KeyID to go to the page with information about the PGP key.
- Click Verify Key Online to proceed with the verification procedure. The actual detailed step instruction is presented on the Cryptonomica, in the verification process you will need:
- to provide two personal identifications documents
- to record short video, where you read clear and loudly provided verification text
- to verify your phone number
- to pay for verification with the credit/debit card with the same first and last name as in your key (key certificate) and in your passport
- to confirm your payment with a statement from your online bank (or similar message)
After the successful completition of all steps in the verification procedure of Cryptonomica, wait for the verification of your documents, processing may take up to 24 hours.
- Enter your profile again (click My Profile). In the User PGP public keys section, select your PGP key and click KeyID to go to the page with information about the PGP key. In case of successful verification, you will see relevant information about it.
- Click Add ETH address to verify your Ethereum account. MetaMask with your imported Ethereum account must be active! In the table with information from the smart contract, look at the field String to sign. If you saved your PGP key in the browser storage (see step 4) then just click the Sign and put to form and enter your password from the key.
If you did not save your PGP key in the browser store, you must sign a string from the String to sign field with your PGP key. You can do this using any utility for working with PGP keys or using the built-in on-line utility for working with PGP keys from Cryptonomica (click OpenPGP online in the menu on the left)
- Click Check signature to verify the correctness of the line before writing to the smart contract and click Send signed strint to smart contract. If you have enough funds at your Ethereum account (depending on the current gas price in the Ethereum), then a transaction will be created, which will have to be confirmed in MetaMask
- Wait for the transaction confirmation (it may take several minutes) after which it is necessary to confirm the status: click Get/Update data from smart contract above and click Verify
- After successful verification, when updating information from the smart contract (click Get/Update data from smart contract above), you will see the date of verification at the bottom of the table.
- After passing the KYC procedure in Cryptonomica you will get the "Identified" status in SONM (this may take up to one hour). To check the status, enter your profile in the SONM GUI (Wallet -> Account -> enter your profile)